Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Zero waste? A slow conversion


Well, less waste. It is a quiet conversion. Amid my more pointed reflections around my call as an iconographer, I have been thinking a fair amount about the three R's and one in particular-reuse. A rising tide. Where did this eco-consciousness start? Solar panels? Using cloth napkins instead of paper?

A list to orient: using rags instead of paper towels, collecting the "heat-up" water for flushing the toilet, showering only 2-3 times a week regardless of amount of exercise (ok, I have always done that). A drop in the bucket in my overcrowded, over-packaged, overstocked house.

Eco-Ladies in waiting: reusable shopping bags I never seem to have when I am shopping, empty containers waiting to be re-used for grocery store bulk items, DIY recipes for frequently used consumables.

The Goal: A new eco-friendly endeavor, decision or action per week. I have a whole list, but I will start small. This week will be putting a costco reusable bag in my car which will hold the smaller reusable shopping bags, empty plastic and glass containers, etc. in the back of my gas-guzzling Subaru. Stay tuned for further developments.

Zero waste
An impossible goal
Reduce, recycle, reuse
Take your trash
Make a bowl
Yet, in this crazy Costco life there are
Signs of a quiet revolution

6 comments:

  1. Bag in car with a whole variety of bags and containers....check!

    Other sundry actions:
    Bad- took a cup to go from Homemade Cafe today
    Good- reused it at Peet's - and now has residence in above bag
    Good- called in suggestion to whole foods to add bulk cleaning supplies to their offered bulk products

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you. Happy to see a new blog project rolling out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, we'll see how it goes. So about the poem...I actually looked for a poem on zero waste just to round out the post and was led to this woman's website where the first thing you read was a warning about copyright infringement, and especially unauthorized use on the internet. So, rolling my eyes, I decided to scribble down my own 1-minute poem. But with so many writer friends, I am thinking that it wasn't such a hot idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this. I like how in our quiet moments of reflection, we hear God's call to better care for each other and His creation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sharon, great to see the new blog. Looking forward to seeing your ideas for reducing waste. I think I'm inspired to bring some of my own containers for bulk stuff. But not my kids!

    ReplyDelete