Monday, September 13, 2010

An answer to prayer...


My workspace (above)

For years now, I have been looking for a local place to receive input and find community in the more solitary call of iconography. I have now been to this open San Francisco studio three times and I have to say that it has been great.

What it does:
1. Community- many people come and go, but I am finding community with B. the instructor (pictured above) and J. a very industrious beginner.
2. Input- I get instant feedback and instruction from someone who has been painting icons for longer than I have.
3. A nice space- there is a lot of space to set your stuff up and it is in a church, so there is a spiritual feel to the place.
4. Accountability- Someone is watching my work progress in real time as well as over time. B. is good about prodding me when it seems I am dragging my feet. At least, I get the hint and press on.
5. Time- A dedicated 4-hour block of time to paint away from the distractions of home. Even with my feet-dragging, I make progress.

What it doesn't do:
1. Provide mastery- B. is also a self-proclaimed student, so she doesn't have the same expertise and depth of knowledge of icons that Charles, Pere Igor or the traveling workshop instructors. In fact, her school of painting (the Prosopon School) is yet another different style and palette. Still, there is more than one way to skin a cat- why not learn another?
2. Challenging conversation- Those coming to the workshop seem to be beginner beginners and hobbyists. It seems most come sporadically and do not work at home. I am definitely the most advanced student. But, being the extrovert I am, any conversation around icon-painting is really refreshing and fun.
3. Church- I am still trying to figure out how to make it to evening church when I go to studio (time-conflict). Good thing my pastor supports me pursuing this call.

Bottom-line: it's very helpful. I am reflecting a lot these days about mission and my call as an iconographer. The increased time in the studio keeps these thoughts and prayers at the forefront rather than lurking beneath the surface.

2 comments:

  1. It's always so energizing to find people who are working in the same artistic vein. I'm encourage that you've found them and visa versa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bora. It feels like both a gift and a breakthrough.

    ReplyDelete