Action #3- Make my own soy milk. A couple of days ago, I did it. It took about an hour and a half, but I think with practice, I could shave it down to 1 hour and use about 8 fewer bowls and pots. It's definitely worth doing especially if you use a lot or want to cut down on disposable containers. I combined two recipes, but I think I will go with this one more faithfully next time.
http://www.ellenskitchen.com/faqs/tofumilk.html#oldsoy
The results were OK. A little thin. I think if I am to use the above recipe I will need to start with less water. And, I have too much soy milk now. I only use a 1/2 cup a day and I think I am supposed to use it within three days or something. I'll have to ask L. She used to make it in Africa. Okara, the leftover solid stuff is supposed to be nutritious (protein, fiber) and can be used in a variety of recipes, including veggie burgers. We'll see how that goes for me.
I'm impressed. My mom used to make soy milk pretty regularly, and I always preferred its taste--I can only describe it as more REAL-- to the stuff you buy in the grocery stores. But I have yet to break out the cheese cloth.
ReplyDeleteYour commitment and creativity are amazing. But even more impressive is your capacity to be undeterred by the hassle factor.
ReplyDeleteHassle factor? And, from the lips of the Art of French Cooking lady...ok, it's a hassle. But, it is less expensive, less waste and tastes good. I like it creamier, E. likes it thinner like it is. If the okara recipes don't work out, I may start making almond milk. A. doesn't do well with soy milk, E. prefers almond milk, A. likes it and I think it is fine, too. I'm going to do the almond milk anyway and I am not sure I want to be making two beverages regularly.
ReplyDelete