The truth is, I have been avoiding being in the studio. Not just recently either. It took a whole school year with both boys in school full days to make it painfully clear. Ouch. When I emailed C about it before this trip, he seemed relieved that my issues with icon painting were mainly having to do with avoidance. His response was that my issues had to do with prayer and problems with prayer. Ahhhh...prayer. Of course, I am not avoiding painting, I am avoiding God. I'm trying to unpack that and engage that here. I sense a breakthrough coming.
Quote of the day: Satan, it's always Satan. (What Charles says when problems arise in the studio)
...or avoiding confronting our own lacks, fears and insecurities, which goes hand-in-hand with avoiding God. That's my current reflection on vocation-avoidance, anyway. (Initial drawing looks wonderful, by the way).
ReplyDeleteThat is one intense quote. Can I use it when I'm encountering problems in the writing? Glad to see that you're praying and painting.
ReplyDeleteYes, guilty on all counts. But, it's helping me to think about icon painting and the challenges there as the same as the ones I have when I am avoiding or having difficulty entering into prayer or having a hard time even sitting down for a quiet time. It's fruitful to think of the ways I overcome the temptations and distractions in prayer- I have a lot more practice with prayer! I'm gathering up some thoughts and reflections on this. Lynn, you can definitely use it- I'm sure it applies.
ReplyDelete