Friday, July 29, 2011

Painter's progress


Thanks everyone for your prayers. I think I am making progress in my painting/praying- maybe for short I'll call it "praynting". Charles and I have talked a lot about it this week and it has been very meaty for me. A few things are rising above all the other musings to be helpful to me.

1. Icon painting as contemplative prayer. To experience the time as prayer, an oblation or offering. And, to apply the disciplines I have learned in practicing contemplative prayer with regard to distractions and temptations.

2. To ground my thoughts and prayers on the God-given words and Scripture that the icon is born out of or is illuminating. For the icon of the Conception of Mary (which C and I are painting) there are two key Scriptures Luke 8:16-21 and Gal 4:21-28 that I am pondering and praying as I paint.

3. To offer my very best to God when I am tempted to rush the work or feel intimidated. That prayer seems to have a quietening effect and illuminates the next step.

I will see how this translates to my time at home, but I am encouraged.

No comments:

Post a Comment