
Now that I have been in this for a bit, I have felt a need for reflection. I know I have been on this Reduce, Reuse, Recycle kick. But, of course, it's not even a quarter turn to be confronted on the whole carbon footprint issue. Darn. My running buddy, T. and I talked at length about the fact that driving is the biggest carbon footprint culprit. There are a lot of complicated calculations, but the broad strokes show that if you can reduce the amount you drive, it supersedes all the other little ways you try and improve your bottom line. For instance, 1 mile driving is equal to 14 plastic bags. SO, I have started bike riding and walking again with new vigor. I even rode my bike to Seabreeze Cafe to run with L. early Sunday morning. And, rode back in a light rain. No more excuses for driving to early morning prayer. Why did I recommit to biking just when it starts to get dark and cold, really cold at 5:45am?

A related reflection. Should I just buy eco-friendly cleaners in bulk at Costco (carpooling hopefully) or go to Rainbow Grocery in the city and fill my containers. It turns out that Rainbow is 1 mile away from my icon workshop. So, this Sunday, I ventured there. Parking is a nightmare, so I circled once and found street parking. I partially filled two large containers with dishwashing liquid and laundry detergent, bought four individually paper wrapped toilet paper rolls, and a couple of other bulk food items and left. You could spend hours there, but I have icons to write! The tension is that if I go with someone to Costco, I am saving the gas I would use driving even the two mile round trip solo to Rainbow. Hmmm...I think maybe the container thing is going to win out for me. Rainbow is expensive, of course, but they do give you 5 and 10 cent credits PER bag- counting the individual bags you use for bulk items or produce, etc. Most grocery stores only give you credit for the large bags. Gratifying.
Last reflection. As far as money savings, I have wondered about whether my budget could handle all the additional cost for meat and cheese that is not packaged, farmer's market vegetables and fruits, costly shower gels and toilet paper. However, I have not been to Costco for two months now. I have avoided it because two friends independently asked me if they could pick up a few items for me. I think that not going to Costco has been a significant time and money savings in the last month. I am definitely a victim of the Costco impulse buying phenomena. I bragged to Alex that potentially, I could maybe cut Costco runs out altogether and have others get the few things I needed. He then suggested maybe we give up our membership- afterall, it costs us money- and I balked big time. I am just not ready to take a step like that.
No comments:
Post a Comment