Monday, October 4, 2010

Almond Milk



Today, I made almond milk. A big change for our house. It impacts all three Rs in a positive way. First, I have checked out all three non-milk drinking adults in the house. We all are happy to reduce our usage of three different kinds of non-dairy drinks (*soy-Sharon, rice-Alex and almond-E.) to just almond milk. We also will not have the containers to deal with and will reduce our recycling by about 3 containers a week. And, we will be reusing our glass containers and jars. Another big plus, is that almond milk is much easier and less time consuming to make than soy milk. What's not to like about that?!

The almond milk recipe is here: http://www.veganreader.com/2009/09/12/almond-milk-recipe-the-creamiest-of-them-all/

Almond Milk Ingredients and Equipment

  • 1/3 C. Raw Organic Almonds
  • 2 C. Water
  • A pot
  • A blender
  • A mesh strainer
You can supposedly use the leftover almond mush to make a delicious biscuit for a fruit dessert or for cobbler. We'll see.

The cost- $6.79/pound of organic raw almonds at BB
2/3 cup (3.5 oz) almonds makes a quart of milk
=$1.50/quart (at least comparable if not less expensive)

The taste- well, E. will be the final judge, but I like it! I'm sure the recipe can be tweaked. I think I will up the almond volume to a 1:4 ratio, which will make the cost of the milk go up to close to $2.00/quart. It's so easy to make, I think that I will try making it more frequently with less volume.

*we all have different reasons for not drinking animal milk. I am pre-diabetic, so cow's milk has a whopping 15g of sugar/cup. Alex is lactose intolerant and soy milk does funny things to him too. E. is a lifestyle and diet issue.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Sharon, I just caught up with your blog. It's great. Thanks!

    If you could milk the knit rats, you would be able to have another source of milk. But your fingers might get sore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for tuning in. Fingers got sore and chafed as it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon- I'm really enjoying your blog and did get around to making almond milk yesterday. It turned out great and is incredibly easy, environmentally happy, and inexpensive. I think it took me 15 minutes. I do wonder how important it is to buy organic almonds, especially because you are removing their shells. How about just local raw almonds? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Tracy, I'm glad to hear you are tuning in and that the almond milk was a success! I just made my third batch- are you just using a sieve to strain? I don't think the organic part matters. In fact, one blog just said, why not, since you are going through the trouble to make a fresher more natural product. Are you going to try the soy milk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We don't drink any cows milk at our house and haven't for over a decades. Our favorites are almond milk and rice milk.

    ReplyDelete