Monday, August 1, 2011

Making my way home


I am writing this post on my way from Juneau to Seattle. Though this was my shortest trip to Juneau, I believe it was very fruitful. In the end two quotes:

1. The studio is your oratory. It is your place of prayer. Prayer. Solitude. Silence.
2. Icons are liturgical. Icons are a liturgical art. Icons are liturgical not only because they are used in the liturgy, but because they are a participation in the liturgical life of the church.

Both of these areas I see as deficient in my life as an iconographer. First, I am motivated to set up my studio to be my place of prayer. It has been a while since I have had a prayer room or corner. It became less of a felt need as I was developing other areas of prayer in my life and in InterVarsity. I also transitioned from single to married life and parenthood in less than one year!

Second, I have been gradually learning and growing in the ways I (and my family) participate in the liturgical life of the church- with a special attention to how icons intersect with that. I see that putting myself in the stream of liturgical life is a necessity to truly understanding the icon, especially as an iconographer if my calling is to serve the church in this way.



2 comments:

  1. It was wonderful having you with us this week! Come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always a pleasure being up North with you and the family. I hope to be back soon. Carnitas again for sure and hopefully your enchiladas- yum!

    ReplyDelete