Monday, January 31, 2011

Belgium

I have been here in Belgium for three days now. It has been wonderful to finally see B and J after praying for them so intensely and talking at a distance. It has also been great spending time with S, K and B's mom B. Everyone is doing so well under the circumstances. It is amazing how the family is really established here after so short a time, relationally and otherwise.

I continue to pursue a calling as an iconographer (and a friend). This is an icon I painted for J and B and now sits in B's hospital room. When I spend time with B, I feel as I did with my mother, the presence of that person and the presence of Christ in that person is so profound. I pray the icon is an encouragement to him and J as they go through this time of suffering. Hopefully, we can get someone to bless both icons this week, B and the one I brought from Berkeley.

The people in Leuven speak English well although I did whip out my French yesterday in a bakery when I wasn't understood in English. I am getting to know the main bus line to and from town and the hospital. It makes me more useful as an additional adult to be able to get around independently. I am praying that the Lord would order each day remaining.

6 comments:

  1. So glad you're there. Post a pic or two if you get a chance. And if you run into technical difficulties, you know who to ping. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to write "so glad you're there" too, but Bora beat me to it! But I really am. I know it's a blessing to all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. I am glad I am here, too. God is answering prayers. Everyone is really looking forward to your trip in April. I will try and post pics. In fact, once I get a good one, I'll update my facebook picture too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to learn that you arrived safely in Leuven. Hope that the shellac finish I proposed that you give the icon worked out for you. You were in my prayers this weekend, especially at Mass (I preached on the beatitudes and told the story of Pere Igor's suggestion that all I needed to do to perfect the icon I was painting was to apply a belt sander to it! (The way of perfection being about losing and not gaining, subtraction and not additon.) You and your friend continue to be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thankful that you are there and I know you are really encouraging the Hansen clan with your visit. We do miss you here though :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charles, I think the shellac worked- it was definitely a better idea than anything I was thinking. Right now I have it in plastic b/c of the amount of shifting around and piling that is done in a hospital room. I hope I made the corrections you suggested. Thank you for your prayers. I am praying for the illuminations you are working on.

    Thanks Marguerite, continue to pray that I will be an encouragement.

    ReplyDelete